In 2012, Bloomberg Businessweek named Mound as “Minnesota’s Best Place to Raise Kids.” Just 20 miles west of Minneapolis, with 17 miles of shoreline! The town is quaint and committed to the Lake history and to creating its own history with everything from the farmers market to the fish fry, wake surf competition, Tonka brew fest, and half marathon. Over 111 years old, Mound was named after the Indian Mounds built from as early as 300BC to 100AD!
- Committed to residential and commercial development, the famous Tonka Toys originated in this area.
- Preserved old world charm while restoring downtown
- Largest municipally owned dock program in the state available for rental enhancing Lake access for those not owning lakeshore
- The fire and police department presence has helped Mound consistently score an A rating from Areavibes.
- Great and varied dining choices abound from casual to fine dining.
- Mound has more parks than any lakeshore community with 31!
- Great award winning schools! Characterized by the small school size (2300 students preK-12), with the past 15 years being named “Best in State” in MCA Performance. Westonka scores in the top 10 districts in the state on the 2017 MN Comprehensive Assessments. Overall, Westonka is rated #4 in the state in math, and #6 in reading. The school district is renowned for its great arts programs and outstanding commitment to athletics and other extracurricular activities.
- “The drive is worth it! “